Wednesday, July 12, 2006

"Work, Lately" or "melodrama" or "heart in my throat and knot in my stomach"

139words, 5-7 minutes
The computer stared blankly back. The words won’t write themselves, she said. Just fill the paper with anything. Go back and edit later. Still mockingly blank, torturing her, the white page. It’s in my head, a jumbled mess. If I could only find the starting thread, then I’d be able to undo the knot, working carefully until it’s one continuous thought, stretching from end to end. The words would flow and the thoughts unravel.

Starting words: If only; there was a time; since the beginning; it happened; once upon a time; until the time; in a fog; permeating the air; with a glance; until that moment; across the room; in a train shed; under the boardwalk; the sticky glass; watching the ant; moving from here to there…so many beginnings.

So easy.But no middle. And no end.

Blah blah blah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home